Do you love to make your own pastry or want to try but the recipes always look so long and hard?
I used to have a love/hate relationship with making pastry so I just used to buy it. The only problem I found is that sometimes I would only use 2 or 3 sheets and then forget about the rest in the fridge and they would need to be thrown out. Until I found this recipe.
I can not rememebr where I found this recipe I found it a few years ago and I wrote it down and have been using it ever since.
For my pies I make this recipe twice for a bottom and a top.
It’s honestly so simple.
240g plain flour
1 pinch of salt
160g butter, chilled and cubed
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup cold water
1. Place the flour, salt, and butter into a food processor and blitz until crumbs
2. Beat water and yolk together and pour over the flour
3. Blitz the mixture again until just starting to clump.
4. Tip out onto a clean bench and bring them together into a ball using your hands
5. Cover in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes
6. Place flour on your bench and roll out the pastry into a square. Roll out one side and then turn over and roll out the other side
7. Repeat until it’s the thickness you want. Place in your tin or tins, press it in, and trim the edges.
8. Return to the fridge for another 30 minutes
9. PReheat the oven to 170c. Blind bake by either placing the baking paper in and filling with ceramic beans or rice or just by placing baking paper over (it may bubble this way)
10. Bake for 15 minutes
11. Remove the beans, prick with a fork and place back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes
12. Remove from the oven and let cool
13. PLace your fillings in and cook pie as wish.
And that’s it. Honesly super easy and well worth it. You can deinfately tell the difference between your home made pastry and store brought.
If you try it let me know how it turns out.
-Just A Happy Mum