I can not believe that I am now meal planning for the month of November till December. I mean where has this month and in fact this year gone?
This year has been a funny year but we are almost at the end 🙂
My meal plan this month may look a little different. With my surgery coming up I am taking the no pressure approach on my husband and father to have cooked meals every night of the week. So you will see takeaway nights scattered through and that is okay 🙂
So join me as I meal plan, online grocery shop and hopefully not mess up 🙂
Set your budget
The very first thing I do is I set a budget. I know what our max budget but I always try to get under our max budget and so far I have managed to do it 🙂
Setting your budget also gives you a goal in mind for what you want to achieve for your monthly meal plans and then go from there.
BUT DO NOT SET AN SUPER TIGHT GROCERY BUDGET. I have found the hard way this sets you up for failure and more trips to the supermarket
Shop from your freezer
I always shop from our freezer first. It helps me to see what we have and what we need. I write down the contents of each freezer so I am aware of what we have meat wise and veggie wise.
Doing this also stops me from buying unnecessary meat and veggies and just adding to the freezer.
This month we have a fully stocked freezer in the garage and in the house so except for two more roasts I will not be buying any meat 🙂
Shop from your Pantry
My second rule is to check the pantry, baking cupboard and plan meals out with what we already have. I always try to use up what we have first and I always check the expiry dates to make sure nothing has gone off.
We don’t have a lot of room to keep things in our kitchen so this also helps to make sure I don’t overbuy and not have anywhere to store it.
Once I have done my top two steps I then start to meal plan. I love meal planning from the cupboard. It helps me to become creative. Once I have run out of ideas is when I get my cookbooks out and the recipes I have written down and I go from there.
You will be surprised at how many ingredients you have from a recipe sitting in your cupboards that you don’t realize go together
As stated in my pervious blog every Sunday we have a roast so I use the left overs from the roast for the Monday’s meal which helps.
Grocery Shopping List
- 1 x Passata Sauce 2 x ham
- 6 x tinned tomatoes 2 x cucumber
- 6 x canned corn 1 x potatoes
- 2 x tuna chunks 3 x capsicum
- 2 x coconut milk 1 x chicken nuggets
- 2 x pasta 1 x mozzarella cheese
- 2 x wheat biscuits 2 x juice syrups
- 1 x high grade flour 2 x oil
- 1 x rice 4 x baby wipes
- 4 x crackers 1 x toothbrushes kids
- 1 x milk powder 2 x toilet paper
- 1 x salt 1 x rubbish bags
- 2 x yeast 1 x shampoo
- 1 x wraps 3 x stain remover
- 4 x butter 2 x spicy beans
- 2 x yoghurt packets 1 x leg of lamb
- 3 x mayo 1 x pork shoulder
- 1 x tomato sauce refile 1 x red kidney bean
- 1 x Puff Pastry 1 x Filo Pastry
- 1 x Feta Cheese 1 x Mint
- 1 x frozen blueberries 1 x jam
- 1 x cheese Lemons
- 1 x burger buns 1 x Greek yoghurt
- 1 x taco shells 1 x Pork Shoulder
- 1 x gravy 1 x mint sauce
- 1 x nacho chips 1 x whole chicken
- 2 x blue cheese 1 x lemon juice
- 1 x chipotle sauce
I have budgeted for no more than $500 for this shop 🙂
Here are the meal plans I have so far. I haven’t written up our monthly meal plan but I wanted to share what we are going to have with you guys 🙂
I have had to sort out 34 meals. here is what I am thinking:
- 7 x Roasts
- 2 x takeaways nights
- 2 x Satay Chickens nights
- 1x Sausage, mash, veg and gravy night
- 1x Mac and Cheese with Bacon night
- 2 x Fish pie nights
- 1x Home made burger and fries night
- 2 x Chili Con Carne nights
- 1x Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Curry night
- 1x Nachos night
- 1x Burrito night
- 2 x Stir Fry nights
- 1x Homemade meatballs and spaghettis night with hidden veggies
- 1x Chicken Kabab with potatoes, carrots and beans night
- 1x Breakfast for dinner night (Hashbrowns, eggs, beans, tomatoes, bacon)
- 1x Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Blue Cheese Sauce night
- 1x Curried Sausages night
- 1x Pizza Night
- 1x Christmas dinner (turkey, potatoes, carrots, beans, parsnip, stuffing and gracy)
- 1x Boxing day dinner (ham, left over turkey, veg, chips)
- 1x Cheese, mince and stake night
- 1x Stake, chips, eggs night
- 1x Pulled Pork Taco night
- 1 x Bacon and Egg Pie night
Nothing too eventful or overly complicated this month. Some nights we will simply just do a left over night which means no stress and just a reheat.
Do you think anything is missing?
-Just A Happy Mum